Every summer my extended family has cookouts at our family lake house and I love when my cousin Holly brings her Jello Cake for dessert. I’ll be honest, I’m not a huge cake fan but I LOVE her Jello Cake.
It is so light and fluffy and because it has Cool Whip instead of icing it is a perfect summer treat. In honor of the upcoming holiday weekend, I decided to whip up my own Jello Cake and I made it for my family–to many oohs and ahhs.. and it was so super easy to do!
- 2 large eggs
- 1¾ cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Separate the eggs by placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another. Cover the two bowls with plastic wrap and allow the eggs to come to room temperature
- In a mixing bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer beat the butter until soft the add ¾ cup of the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the vanilla extract and alternately add the flour mixture and the milk, beginning and ending with the flour.
- In a clean bowl of your electric mixer beat the egg whites with the whisk attachment until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Add the remaining ¼ cup of sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula gently fold a little of the whites into the batter to lighten it, and then add the remaining whites until combined. Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour in a 13X9 cake pan and cook for 40-45 minutes until done.
- Cool slightly and then poke holes in the cake with a fork or knife. Prepare any flavor Jello you like ( I used Strawberry) following the directions but using half of the amount of cold water. Pour over the slightly cooled cake and refrigerate.
- When serving just put a dollop of Cool Whip on top and garnish with fresh fruit.