Growing kids are hungry kids and sometimes I feel like all I hear is “mom, can I have a snack?” I find that with a little planning ahead I can keep the kids full and happy all day long with ready supply of healthy treats that I can feel good about them snacking on.
One of our favorite snacks is Homemade Crispers Snack Mix. It is just the right combination of salty and crunchy and everyone loves it! I can make a big batch of it over the weekend and have a snack available when needed.
Homemade Chex Snack Mix
- 6 tbs butter
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 9 cups Giant brand Crispers corn and rice cereal
- 1 cup pretzels
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- Melt butter in microwave, add seasonings and stir.
- Place cereal and pretzels on baking sheet and pour butter mixture over it and mix well.
- Bake 1 hour, string frequently so that the seasonings are spread over all the cereal.
We also love to snack on homemade trail mix. I just mix together some almonds (I break mine up into smaller pieces so they are more bite sized), raisins and air popped popcorn. Again, it is that mix of sweet, salty and crunch that makes it very satisfying to eat.
What do your kids like to snack on?