When I was growing up my mom’s best friend, who is Irish, always made Irish Soda Bread for St. Patrick’s Day and she would always give a loaf of it to my mom for us to enjoy. Since it was one a once a year occasion it was always a special treat and I loved the way the bread tasted, especially when it had raisins in it.
I hope you enjoy this yummy treat this year!
Irish Soda Bread Recipes
- ½ C white sugar
- 4 C all-purpose flour....divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 C raisins
- 1 Tbsp caraway seeds (optional)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1¼ C buttermilk
- 1 C sour cream
- -Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- -Grease a 9 inch round baking or cake pan.
- -In a mixing bowl, combine flour (reserve 1 tablespoon), sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins (optional) , and caraway seeds (optional)
- -In a smaller bowl, blend eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream.
- -Stir the liquid mixture into the flour mixture just until flour is moistened.
- -Knead dough in bowl about 10 to 12 strokes.
- -Dough will be sticky.
- -Place the dough in the prepared pan and pat down.
- -Cut a 4 x ¾ inch deep slit in the top of the bread.
- -Dust with 1 Tbsp flour.
- -Bake in preheated oven for 65 to 75 minutes.
- -Let cool and turn bread out onto a wire rack.
Here are some Irish Soda Bread Recipes I have rounded up from my blogging friends, enjoy!
Sweet Irish Soda Bread from Souffle Bombay!
Chocolate Chip Irish Soda Bread from Jolynne Shane
Easy Irish Soda Bread Recipe from It’s a Keeper!