My son’s birthday is at the end of April so every year he wants to bring cupcakes to his baseball games for his friends to enjoy and every year I make Baseball Cupcakes. They are such an easy dessert to make and they are great because you can eat them with one hand–no fork required!– and you can just grab one and go.
These cupcakes would also be great for a team party or end of season celebration.
The recipe that I use is also great for any type of cupcake, just adjust the color of the icing and you can customize them to any type of party. For the baseball cupcakes I just did a basic white icing and then piped on red icing to look like the seams. Remember, it doesn’t have to look perfect–every cupcake and baseball look unique. You can also break up some chocolate cookies like Oreos and sprinkle them on top if you want the baseballs to look dirty.
- 2 large eggs
- 1¾ cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Separate the eggs by placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another. Cover the two bowls with plastic wrap and allow the eggs to come to room temperature
- In a mixing bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer beat the butter until soft the add ¾ cup of the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the vanilla extract and alternately add the flour mixture and the milk, beginning and ending with the flour.
- In a clean bowl of your electric mixer beat the egg whites with the whisk attachment until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Add the remaining ¼ cup of sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula gently fold a little of the whites into the batter to lighten it, and then add the remaining whites until combined. Do not over mix the batter.
- Evenly fill the 12 muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 18 -20 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Ice when cool.
Here is the easy recipe for Easy Buttercream Icing!
Yummy Buttercream Icing
3 3/4 cups Confectioners sugar
1/2 cup butter softened
1 tsp vanilla
milk as needed to thin the icing to the right consistency
Mix all ingredients until a smooth texture is obtained.