Summer is my absolute favorite time of year. The weather is warm, the days are mostly sunny and my local market is full of fresh fruits and veggies,perfect for grilling outdoors and sweet treats. When it is warm out I like to keep my meals and treats simple and light and love to incorporate fresh fruit into them. As we head into the 4th of July weekend I wanted to share with you this delicious Angel Food Cake with Yogurt Cream topped with Strawberries and Blueberries that is perfect for all of your holiday parties this weekend and all summer long.
Angel Food Cake with Yogurt Cream
- 12 egg whites--room temperature
- ⅓ cup warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ tsp cream of tarter
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1 cup flour (sifted)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup greek yogurt- I used blueberry but you can use plain
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk together the egg whites, water, vanilla and cream of tarter on slow for 1 minute. Increase speed and slowly add the 1½ cup sugar, whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Sift together flour and salt and sift in small batches into the egg white mixture, gently folding the flour and egg whites together with a spatula until all the flour has been used.
- Transfer the mixture to an uncreased angel food cake cake and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and the top springs back when touched.
- Immediately invert the pan on to a wire rack and allow to cool for 1 hour. Run a knife around the edge of the pan when ready to remove and gently push down on the bottom of the pan.
- While waiting for the cake to cool mix together the strawberries and blueberries and sprinkle with a small amount of sugar. Allow to sit for the juices to release from the strawberries.
- To make the yogurt cream topping, combine the yogurt and the heavy cream and whip well until stiff peaks form.
- Top the cake with the yogurt cream and fruit and the fruit juice.
Did you know that GIANT Food Stores offers shoppers a free magazine at their checkout called Savory? Have you seen this magazine yet? You can view it online or pick it up at your local GIANT Food Store and it is full of money saving cooking tips, coupons and recipes perfect for busy families. I grabbed the May/June edition featuring All American Summer an I can’t wait to try out all of the delicious recipes featured in it. It is going to be a yummy summer!
This is a sponsored post on behalf of GIANT Food Stores but all opinions are 100% my own.